Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. Reports Third Quarter
Earnings Of 32¢ Per Share
October 27, 2010
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE-RGR) announced today that for the third quarter of 2010, the Company reported net sales of $58.4 million and earnings per share of 32¢, compared with sales of $71.2 million and earnings per share of 37¢ in the third quarter of 2009.
For the nine months ended October 2, 2010, net sales were $191.1 million and earnings were $1.18 per share. For the corresponding period in 2009, net sales were $207.1 million and earnings were $1.13 per share.
Chief Executive Officer Michael O. Fifer made the following comments related to the Company's results:
- The Company launched the new SR-40 striker-fired pistol late in the third quarter of 2010. New product introductions, including the new SR-40 pistol, remain a strong driver of demand and represented $50.0 million or 27% of sales in the first nine months of 2010.
- Estimated unit sell-through of the Company's products from distributors to retailers in the third quarter of 2010 decreased by approximately 7% from both the third quarter of 2009 and the second quarter of 2010. NICS checks increased 6% from the third quarter of 2009 and 2% from the second quarter of 2010, indicating that the Company's share of total firearms retail transactions (new and used firearms) may have declined during the quarter.
- The incoming order rate in the third quarter of 2010 increased significantly from the second quarter of 2010 and the third quarter of 2009.
- Cash generated from operations during the first nine months of 2010 was $23.5 million. At the end of the third quarter of 2010, our cash and equivalents and short-term investments totaled $53.0 million. Our current ratio is 3.7 to 1 and we have no debt.
- During the first nine months of 2010, capital expenditures totaled $16.4 million, much of it related to tooling and equipment for new products. We expect to invest approximately $20 million for capital expenditures during 2010.
- During the third quarter of 2010, the Company repurchased 412,000 shares of its common stock for $5.7 million in the open market. The average price per share repurchased was $13.83. These repurchased shares represented 2.1% of the outstanding shares as of the beginning of the third quarter of 2010 and were funded with cash on hand. As of the end of the third quarter of 2010, $4.3 million remains available for future stock repurchases.
- At the end of the third quarter of 2010, stockholders' equity was $109 million, which equates to a book value of $5.77 per share, of which $2.82 per share was cash and equivalents and short-term investments.
Today, the Company filed its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the third quarter of 2010. The financial statements included in this Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q are attached to this press release. - View Release
The Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q is available on the SEC website at www.sec.gov and the Ruger website at www.ruger.com/corporate/. Investors are urged to read the complete Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q to ensure that they have adequate information to make informed investment judgments.
Today, the Company also filed an amendment to its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2009, as a result of a review of some of the Company's recent financial filings by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The only changes from the original filing are administrative and are as follows:
Otherwise, the content is unchanged.
- The addition of a second signature of the Chief Financial Officer to the signature page,
- The re-dating of the officer certifications, and
- An explanatory paragraph explaining items 1 and 2 above.
About Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. is one of the nation's leading manufacturers of rugged,
reliable firearms for the commercial sporting market. As a full-line manufacturer
of American-made firearms, Ruger offers consumers over 400 variations of more than
30 product lines. For more than 60 years, Ruger has been a model of corporate and
community responsibility. Our motto, “Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®,”
echoes the importance of these principles as we work hard to deliver quality and
The Company may, from time to time, make forward-looking statements and projections
concerning future expectations. Such statements are based on current expectations
and are subject to certain qualifying risks and uncertainties, such as market demand,
sales levels of firearms, anticipated castings sales and earnings, the need for
external financing for operations or capital expenditures, the results of pending
litigation against the Company, the impact of future firearms control and environmental
legislation, and accounting estimates, any one or more of which could cause actual
results to differ materially from those projected. Readers are cautioned not to place
undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date made.
The Company undertakes no obligation to publish revised forward-looking statements to
reflect events or circumstances after the date such forward-looking statements are made
or to reflect the occurrence of subsequent unanticipated events.
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. “Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®”