Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. Reports 2013 Fully Diluted Earnings of $5.58 Per Share and Declares Dividend of 54¢ Per Share
February 25, 2014
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE-RGR) announced today that for 2013 the Company reported net sales of $688.3 million and fully diluted earnings of $5.58 per share, compared with net sales of $491.8 million and fully diluted earnings of $3.60 per share in 2012.
For the fourth quarter of 2013, net sales were $181.9 million and fully diluted earnings were $1.33 per share. For the corresponding period in 2012, net sales were $141.8 million and fully diluted earnings were $1.00 per share.
The Company also announced today that its Board of Directors declared a dividend of 54¢ per share for the fourth quarter, for shareholders of record as of March 14, 2014, payable on March 28, 2014. This dividend varies every quarter because the Company pays a percent of earnings rather than a fixed amount per share. This dividend is approximately 40% of net income.
Chief Executive Officer Michael O. Fifer made the following observations related to the Company's results:
Today, the Company filed its Annual Report on Form 10-K for 2013. The financial statements included in this Annual Report on Form 10-K are attached to this press release. - View Release.
- Our earnings increased 55% in 2013, driven by the 40% growth in sales and our ongoing focus on continuous improvement in our operations.
- Our EBITDA of $195.7 million increased 54% from our 2012 EBITDA of $127.1 million.
- New product introductions were a significant component of our sales growth as new product sales represented $195.8 million or 29% of firearm sales in 2013. New product introductions in 2013 included the LC380 pistol, the SR45 pistol, the Ruger American Rimfire rifle, the SR-762 rifle, and the Red Label II shotgun.
- Demand for our products outpaced the growth in industry demand as measured by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System ("NICS") background checks (as adjusted by the National Shooting Sports Foundation) for 2013.
- Cash generated from operations during 2013 was $120 million. At December 31, 2013, our cash totaled $55 million. Our current ratio is 1.8 to 1 and we have no debt.
- In 2013, capital expenditures totaled $54.6 million, much of it related to machinery and equipment for new products, the purchase and building improvements of the Mayodan, North Carolina facility, and the expansion of production capacity for products in greater demand. We expect to invest approximately $35 million on capital expenditures during 2014 as we continue to prioritize new product development.
- In 2013, the Company returned $41.1 million to its shareholders through the payment of dividends.
- At December 31, 2013, stockholders' equity was $179.1 million, which equates to a book value of $9.26 per share, of which $2.85 per share was cash and equivalents.
- During the fourth quarter of 2013, we began to manufacture a limited quantity of rifles at our 220,000 square foot facility in Mayodan, North Carolina that we acquired in September of 2013. Firearm production at the Mayodan facility is expected to increase during 2014.
Tomorrow, February 26, 2014, Sturm, Ruger will host a webcast at 9:00 a.m. ET to discuss the 2013 operating results. Interested parties can access the webcast at www.ruger.com/corporate or by dialing 866-270-6057, participant code 15153767.
The Annual Report on Form 10-K is available on the SEC website at www.sec.gov and the Ruger website at www.ruger.com/corporate. Investors are urged to read the complete Annual Report on Form 10-K to ensure that they have adequate information to make informed investment judgments.
About Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. is one of the nation's leading manufacturers of rugged,
reliable firearms for the commercial sporting market. As a full-line manufacturer
of American-made firearms, Ruger offers consumers over 400 variations of more than
30 product lines. For more than 60 years, Ruger has been a model of corporate and
community responsibility. Our motto, “Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®,”
echoes the importance of these principles as we work hard to deliver quality and
The Company may, from time to time, make forward-looking statements and projections
concerning future expectations. Such statements are based on current expectations
and are subject to certain qualifying risks and uncertainties, such as market demand,
sales levels of firearms, anticipated castings sales and earnings, the need for
external financing for operations or capital expenditures, the results of pending
litigation against the Company, the impact of future firearms control and environmental
legislation, and accounting estimates, any one or more of which could cause actual
results to differ materially from those projected. Readers are cautioned not to place
undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date made.
The Company undertakes no obligation to publish revised forward-looking statements to
reflect events or circumstances after the date such forward-looking statements are made
or to reflect the occurrence of subsequent unanticipated events.
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. “Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®”