Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. Reports First Quarter Fully Diluted
Earnings of $1.20 Per Share and Dividend of 49¢ Per Share
April 29, 2013
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announced today that for the first quarter of 2013 the Company reported net sales of $155.9 million and fully diluted earnings of $1.20 per share, compared with net sales of $112.3 million and fully diluted earnings of 79¢ per share in the first quarter of 2012.
The Company also announced today that its Board of Directors declared a dividend of 49¢ per share for the first quarter, for shareholders of record as of May 10, 2013, payable on May 24, 2013. This dividend varies every quarter because the Company pays a percent of earnings rather than a fixed amount per share. This dividend is approximately 40% of net income.
Chief Executive Officer Michael O. Fifer made the following observations related to the Company's results:
Today, the Company filed its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the first quarter of 2013. The financial statements included in this Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q are attached to this press release. - View Release.
- Our earnings increased 53% from the first quarter of 2012, driven by the 39% growth in sales and our ongoing focus on continuous improvement in our operations.
- New product introductions were a significant component of our sales growth as new product sales represented $53.3 million or 35% of firearm sales in the first quarter of 2013. New product introductions in the first quarter of 2013 included the LC380 pistol and the SR45 pistol.
- The estimated sell-through of our products from independent distributors to retailers in the first quarter of 2013 increased 12% from the first quarter of 2012. This estimated unit sell-through was effectively limited to first quarter production because distributor inventory totaled only 59,200 units at December 31, 2012. For reference, at December 31, 2011, the distributor inventory totaled 135,600 units, allowing Q1 2012 sell-through to exceed Q1 2012 production by 22%. During the first quarter of 2013, National Instant Criminal Background Check System ("NICS") background checks (as adjusted by the National Shooting Sports Foundation) increased 46%.
- Cash generated from operations during the first quarter of 2013 was $30.4 million. At March 30, 2013, our cash and cash equivalents totaled $45.6 million. Our current ratio is 1.6 to 1 and we have no debt.
- In the first quarter of 2013, capital expenditures totaled $7.7 million, much of it related to new products and the expansion of production capacity. We expect to invest approximately $30 million for capital expenditures during 2013.
- In the first quarter of 2013, the Company returned $7.8 million to its shareholders through the payment of dividends.
- At March 30, 2013, stockholders' equity was $111.6 million, which equates to a book value of $5.78 per share, of which $2.36 per share was cash and equivalents.
Tomorrow, April 30, 2013, Sturm, Ruger will host a webcast at 12:00 p.m. EDT of its Annual Meeting of Stockholders. Interested parties can access the webcast at www.ruger.com/corporate or www.earnings.com or by dialing 800-295-4740, participant code 60546881.
The Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q is available on the SEC website at www.sec.gov and the Ruger website at www.ruger.com/corporate. Investors are urged to read the complete Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q to ensure that they have adequate information to make informed investment judgments.
About Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. is one of the nation's leading manufacturers of rugged, reliable firearms for the commercial sporting market. The only full-line manufacturer of American-made firearms, Ruger offers consumers over 400 variations of more than 30 product lines. For more than 60 years, Ruger has been a model of corporate and community responsibility. Our motto, "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®," echoes the importance of these principles as we work hard to deliver quality and innovative firearms.
The Company may, from time to time, make forward-looking statements and projections concerning future expectations. Such statements are based on current expectations and are subject to certain qualifying risks and uncertainties, such as market demand, sales levels of firearms, anticipated castings sales and earnings, the need for external financing for operations or capital expenditures, the results of pending litigation against the Company, the impact of future firearms control and environmental legislation, and accounting estimates, any one or more of which could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date made. The Company undertakes no obligation to publish revised forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date such forward-looking statements are made or to reflect the occurrence of subsequent unanticipated events.
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. “Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®”